So, I am following one method of project management for this project. There are two types of tasks:
1. Do now
2. Do later
There are a lot of things that I want to do, but I can't do them all. So, of all the things I want to build, each week or two, I pick a few manageable tasks that I can accomplish in the next week or to and try to accomplish them. Those are do now. Everything else is do later. I don't have to worry about that. I'll do it later. This is a list of all the things I want to do, in not really any order. I may try to order it later.
1. Shields (Inspiration, Halo)
Adding this mechanic will change gameplay. It will allow people to get tagged and then hide (unless you fire fast enough). This will change gameplay by making it harder to tag people and get them out if they are behind cover. That may encourage maneuvering.
2. Respawn base (Inspiration: Zombie mods, multiplayer games, capture the flag, etc.)
This will help with tracking tags, number of respawns, capturing areas, etc.
You can add temporary invulnerability to discourage spawn camping.
3. Classes (inspiration: Team fortress 2, star wars: battlefront 2, Zombie mod)
TF2 Game type: You can spawn as any unit from the beginning. You can only change when respawning.
Star Wars Battlefront Game type:
You all spawn as one of the standard classes in the beginning
You can respawn as a hihger leveled player based on tags (would require respawn points to talk for counting tags)
Playing the same character and getting tags unlocks perks (ex: burst fire for standard gun, like in star wars)
Same respawning principles as Star Wars Game type, but with asymetric teams (Humans vs Zombies)
No human respawns
Only zombie base
4. Runes (Inspiration: Dota2)
Adding rune spawns will encourage people to meet at specific areas during designated times and encourage team fights.
1. Invisibility - no lights, purple
2. Invulnerability - white
3. Extended magazine (requires magazines)
4. Rapid fire
6. Double damage
7. Experience (this could level you up. Giving better stats, upgrades, spawn types, etc.)
5. Active Reloading (Inspiration: Gears of War)
This would make reloading a little more fun to master. It could also help control fire rates for different classes of tag units
You could use an LED bar for this, along with a shift register.
6. Sounds (Castle Crashers, 8 bit games)
7. Abilities (Dota 2, Borderlands, Left 4 Dead)
Disarms? (Zombie mod: smoker has a disarm?)
Zombie mod - corrosive attack on death? (Boomer in L4D)
8. Items (Halo, Gears of War (Horde Mode items), Dota 2)
9. Zombie Mode (L4D)
There are a lot of technical issues I will have to overcome before I get to this, but I can add elements of other things to it. Aim for the head.
Smoker (with disarm?)
Spawner (which grants level up to the person who tags it)
Boomer (on death, 'tags' with caustic goo)